TRUE Freedom...

Something "hit" me today.

Have you ever gotten "hit" by something? I mean really just smacked upside the head with it? Well, typically when something "hits" me I can remember every detail of where I was and what I was doing when the Lord really got me. And yesterday, while coming down the stairs-kids pj's in hand-the Lord just spoke. Oh, I'm sure He'd been speaking to me all day-for the past 3 or 4 days-in just about every situation. But it wasn't until that moment that I actually cared to listen.

I yearn for peace and the freedom it brings-period. And I can honestly say that every decision I make and action I take is an attempt to secure that freedom for myself. If I just have enough money in savings; the perfect debt-to-income ratio; the right diet; perfectly obedient and happy children; and enough money to retire comfortably at 55, I will finally secure peace. And yet I know it doesn't work that way. Life is unexpected. Even with the perfect diet plan and exercise people still die. Even with the right amount of money unforeseen job loss or injury/death can erase years of hard work! And don't even get me started on children. Even kids with the ever elusive "perfect parents" are given the freedom to choose how they will behave. (Can I just say how frustrating this is sometimes!) So I am left to conclude one thing-and one thing only: the ability to "secure" peace exists outside of myself.

I've written on my lack of patience, love, patience, wisdom and oh yea, patience before haven't I? :) So why do I time and time again try to "fill-up" on my God and then go it alone? The long and short of my lesson this week is this: I will never get to a point when I no longer require the Lord's help-period. I will never be adjusted enough, financially secure enough, wise enough or strong enough. It just WILL NOT happen! True freedom and peace exist in a life spent in communion and devotion to the Author of our freedom: Jesus Christ. John 8:36 (NIV): "So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed."  

The Message (in part): 
  "Jesus said, "I tell you most solemnly that anyone who chooses a life of sin is trapped in a dead-end life and is, in fact, a slave. A slave is a transient, who can't come and go at will. The Son, though, has an established position, the run of the house. So if the Son sets you free, you are free through and through."

My prayer today is this:

That I would give-up trying to author my own peace. Not so I can live irresponsibly or without concern for my well-being or the well-being of those in my care. But so that I can rely on the Author of TRUE freedom and peace. And devote my life to Him; knowing that He is ALWAYS enough and the only One capable of making us "free indeed".

Loving you all today!

Comments

Popular Posts