A lot can happen in 10 years, right?!

So, my head has been swimming for the past few days. I mean REALLY swimming! I don't know that I use the phrase "my head is swimming" very often-as I'm not even really sure exactly what it means. But, as I reflect on the past few days-it seems appropriate.

10 years ago, in September, my life suddenly changed. Just a little over 6 weeks after dedicating my life to my Lord-disaster struck. Both personally and of course nationally. And let me tell you, my young faith was rocked! Emotions and questions that had been long ignored began to surface. Questions about God's goodness and mercy. Questions about "Why?" and "What for?"; "What had we done to deserve...?". And I can honestly say it was a dark time for me. But you want to know the funny thing? I can say, with just as much honesty, I am grateful for that time.

Yes, I wish that it did not happen. That on September 11th thousands of people did not lose their lives. And yes, that my family did not have to experience our own "hard times". But what I am grateful for is God's comfort and His peace.  You see during this time of questioning the Lord led me to a scripture that has stuck with me since. It is as if those 2 days of pain were meant to prepare me for a lifetime in this "world". The words from My Lord were these-John 16:33 (NIV):  

33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

The Message (in part):

"...I've told you all this so that trusting me, you will be unshakable and assured, deeply at peace. In this godless world you will continue to experience difficulties. But take heart! I've conquered the world."

My comfort? That My Lord has won. No matter the difficulty; no matter the pain-My Lord has already "overcome" it. And 10 years later; married and the mother of 2 precious children-I am still moved by Christ's words to me!

So, back to my "swimming head". :) Recent events have caused me to look at certain "questions" I am still holding onto. Questions I know the Lord has answered and will probably continue to "answer" until I finally let go of them. And there is pain. Pain that I am not quite sure will ever fully go away. But there is one thing that trumps the pain. And one thing that I do not question. The one thing that I am most certain of-more certain than anything in my life! And that is Christ's life-changing and life-giving love.

I will leave us with Paul's words of comfort. Words that, combined with Christ's promises, quiet my questions and comfort my pain.

For I am convinced that neither death nor life,
neither angels nor demons, 
neither the present nor the future,
nor any powers, 
neither height nor depth, 
nor anything else in all creation, 
will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Romans 8:38-39 (NIV)

Loving and praying for you all today!

Comments

Popular Posts