Where did that "girl" go??

I often chuckle to myself when I remember who I was before having my children. The unexpected event that would throw my whole day into a tizzy? Looking in my closet and having nothing to wear-would they see me wearing the same thing I had worn last week? Or horror of horrors my hair wouldn't lay just right and I would spend the rest of the day knowing everyone was looking at me thinking I hadn't showered or something. (Incidentally, my "fear" has changed from-do I look like I've showered-to-can they smell I haven't showered!)  Like I said, I chuckle!

Not all people without children are like I was. I know some so devoted to serving the Lord and others that hair and wardrobe are barely a thought. But for me it took the life altering event of having children to really change me. I can still remember breaking down in front of complete strangers after Andy was born premature and in the hospital. Or catching a glimpse of myself on the way to the grocery store and realizing that I had neglected to comb my hair or even brush my teeth!
 
The most positive change though? My heart. I don't know if all parents experience this but I feel sort of like the Grinch. You'll probably laugh at the analogy but the scene where his "small heart grew three sizes that day!" could totally be describing me! :) And I am grateful. Through my marriage and my children the Lord has shown me a depth of true love that someone like me would have missed. He's taught me about being truly vulnerable-about trusting Him even when the stakes are unbelievably high. He has taught me to pray even though I am paralyzed by fear. But mostly? He has taught me about himself.

I can understand better now, how God could love me even when I am so unlovely! And it is also He who is equipping me for this call to parent. I need only look to God, the perfect parent, to know how to move. I'll leave you with one of my favorite passages on emulating Christ's love for us. And my prayer today is this: That I would continue to allow the Lord to transform my heart-making it more like His. And that I would follow Christ's example of Love-not only for my children-but all those that God has put in my life.

Ephesians 5:1-2 (The Message)

Watch what God does, and then you do it, like children who learn proper behavior from their parents. Mostly what God does is love you. Keep company with him and learn a life of love. Observe how Christ loved us. His love was not cautious but extravagant. He didn't love in order to get something from us but to give everything of himself to us. Love like that. 

Loving and praying for you all today!

Comments

Popular Posts