Don't ask me about the weather!! ;^)

So, I'm going to admit something right here; right now: I hate small talk!!

And, do you know why I hate small talk? Because I have completely lost the ability to make it. Oh, I used to be able to shoot the breeze. I was practically an award winning chit-chat'er, (of course, there is no actual award for chit-chatting. But you get the picture!). So what changed, you ask? Honestly, I had children. Yep, that's right. You see, not only have my spawn taken my weekends, my sleep, my money, my desert(!!), and sadly most of my brain-I have now forgotten how to talk-about anything other than them!

For example: Earlier this week while introducing myself to a neighbor (incidentally, the perfect occasion for small talk), I discovered she had recently visited my church. Well, after briefly mentioning the sermon from that morning I launched into something about home-schooling our oldest and what a challenge that would be, not to mention the fact that I would be juggling my various activities, at the church, all while trying to maintain a proper schedule for him, and, oh, by the way, my 18 month old daughter is a handful and is in the process of driving me crazy, and did I mention that my children have completely different personalities....!?! As you can probably imagine the poor woman looked completely confused and honestly, a little exhausted.

It was one of those times when I wish I had that shirt on. You know the: "Forgive me! I spend my days with half-crazed, sticky fingered, endless question asking, brain sucking-little people." ;^) I am, of course, only kidding! I love my children and the challenges they present me with on a daily basis. But let's face it-being a parent requires huge sacrifice! Not only are we sacrificing our sleep, money, hobbies, sleep, money, and in some cases even our dreams-we also, apparently lose the ability to communicate like normal adults (please tell me I'm not the only one!).

But, ask any loving parent and they'll tell you-it is totally worth it!! Being a mom, as I've mentioned, has brought me joy and a love I never knew were possible. So, how do we handle all this (rewarding) sacrifice? How do we keep from getting burnt-out, overwhelmed, exhausted and completely discouraged? Well, I just so happen to have just finished a really great book. Those of you who know me are probably laughing by now. I find inspiration in books-a lot! But there are just a few quotes I want to share from Sacred Parenting: How Raising Children Shapes Our Souls by Gary Thomas. I hope you enjoy them as much as I have!

Parents make legitimate claims on their children-respect and obedience for starters. But children make many claims on their parents. The fact that they exist calls out for our nurture, our care, our love, our commitment, our time, and our financial support. This claim that children have on our time, money, energy, and thoughts can lead us into the spirit of sacrifice, the heart of authentic Christian faith. (179-180)

A parent's willingness to make such sacrifices has great spiritual benefit. Christianity was birthed on sacrifice and calls us to many acts of sacrifice...Jesus saw sacrifice at the heart of what his followers do: 'If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me' (Luke 9:23). (181)

God calls us as parents to lay down a blanket of sacrifice on behalf of the next generation. This is the way of Jesus. In many ways, sacrifice defines love. It was one thing for Jesus to tell the world, 'I love you.' It was another thing entirely when he demonstrated his love by dying on our behalf. Paul tell us, 'For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for our sake he became poor, so that you through his poverty might become rich' (2 Corinthians 8:9). (185)

How many parents have felt at their wits' end, eager for time alone, only to have to sacrifice it on behalf of their children? When God calls you into that arena, remember that you have one who understands. Jesus has been there. He knows exactly how you're feeling and invites you to turn this difficult moment of sacrifice into a profound place of intimacy and understanding with him. He knows what it feels like to need some time alone, some time to get refreshed and renewed, only to have that time stolen by the reality of tending to the needs of others.(187)

If you look at the cross with the bored detachment of someone viewing a still-life painting, one of two realities are probably true: You're not a believer; or you're a believer who has never sacrificed on behalf of God. You've never truly taken up your cross and denied yourself to follow him. Without sacrificing ourselves, we can't really appreciate Christ's sacrifice-which means that children, with all the demands that they place on us, usher us into a deeper understanding of and even an astonishment of what God has done on our behalf. (194)

My prayer today is this: That when I begin to grow weary and burdened by the daily sacrifice of raising my children-I would remember the ultimate sacrifice Christ made on my behalf. And as Thomas says "rise to the demands and have (my) soul shaped accordingly...even com(ing) to cherish the sacrifice required of (me), so rewarding do (I) find the spiritual blessings that follow." (page 195)

Loving and praying for you all today!

Comments

Popular Posts