"In the unlikely event of a water landing your seat cushion may be used as a floatation device"-great!!

Ha!! Somehow this phrase has never quite brought me the comfort I desire while preparing for a flight. And, I will admit to having an irrational fear of flying. It's not natural, people!! Birds are made for flight-not humans. And, as with most technology I can't explain, it's too "magical" to be reliable. (Like I said-irrational!) :) 

So, flying for me, is what some would call a "gut check". A "gut check", as defined by Webster's dictionary, is: a test or assessment of courage, character, or determination. Sounds about right! But, I think I would also add: a test or assessment of my proximity to God/Jesus. You see, for me there's nothing like being faced with my own mortality to make me realize how close or how far I am from my Lord. But then some might be wondering "Why? What does it matter how close or how far-or even at all?". Well, for me-what comes next is the most crucial "piece to the puzzle". Let's say I do-plummet thousands of feet out of the sky "landing" in the water and said "flotation device" fails to, well float. What then? As a follower of Christ I know, with all of my being, that I will at last come face-to-face with my Redeemer or my Maker. And, that knowledge brings me great joy!!!... most of the time. You see sometimes I get so caught-up in this life and all of the good things in it-that I forget. I forget Who makes those things truly good. And, I forget my purpose or rather-where I find my purpose! :)

And, now we're back to that "gut check". Well, as I read my Bible I encounter another who is facing his own mortality. But there is no confusion about where he stands on being face-to-face with his Lord. Paul says it like this in Philippians 1:20-26:
20. I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. 21. For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. 22. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! 23. I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; 24. but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. 25. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, 26. so that through my being with you again your boasting in Christ Jesus will abound on account of me.
Wow, that's the kind of faith I want! And friends, that's the kind of faith I can have.

My prayer today is this: That when faced with the realization (and the certainty!!) that I will one day leave this Earth I would do so with great expectancy and hope. Knowing that the only One who makes this life truly good is the only One who can bring victory from death. Lord help Paul's words be my reality: "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain."

Loving and praying for you all today!

Comments

Popular Posts