When there are no easy answers...

Contemplative.
As a noun this word is defined as: A person whose life is devoted to prayer... huh, contemplative.

You ever have those moments? You know-the moments when everything seems to fall into place. Like pieces of a puzzle; all fitting together and you finally see the "big picture"? I LOVE those moments! Eh, they are few and far between. But, praise God, they do happen!! :^)

Well, this post isn't about those moments. Sorry to disappoint (it can't be much of a surprise, though-the title isn't exactly cheery!?). This post is about the other moments. Those moments when there are no easy answers... the picture doesn't quite come together and the "hand of God" is not so clear. When there is no 'divine intervention'-no miraculous conversion. When life seems just plain brutal. (Feeling warm and fuzzy yet?!)

I've had a few of those days lately. Some days my heart was broken for others... some days for myself. But in either case I am left wondering: "Why?". Oh, I know. God doesn't "owe me any answers" (heard that one a few times). And I am well aware that "the Lord works in mysterious ways" (although I'm not sure what it really means...). And yet-I sense that my God welcomes my questions. And that, perhaps, He doesn't want "his ways" to seem clouded and mysterious. You see, I serve a God who has gone to extraordinary lengths to make himself known. Ever read that book called the Bible? (Sarcasm intended... and maybe a little unnecessary...) It is full-cover to cover-of God revealing himself to man. And-what about His Son, Jesus? We've been told, in no uncertain terms, that part of Jesus' ministry was to reveal God to man! (Luke 10:22)

Now, I'm thinking-God would not be that intentional about being known-only to remain distant; mysterious or even unapproachable. No. The God that I serve says things like:
“Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.” (Mathew 11:28-30)
And it is said about Him:
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. (Isaiah 40:29-31)
When I read my Bible, the God I encounter is intensely personal and overwhelmingly near. He's not afraid of my "Why"s nor does He wish to remain a mystery. He only asks that I trust Him... that I come to Him with my questions and then rest in the knowledge that He is good...

I wish I could say I always go to my Lord with my 'why's. Or that I consistently seek rest in Him first, but I can't. Sadly, most of the time I limp from place to place, looking for answers and rest... only to eventually, collapse at His feet. And the crazy thing is-He's never frustrated... He never sighs and says "I told you so!!" (like I often do). No. He lavishes me with love and rest for my weary heart. And He answers my questions-though often times, I don't understand or don't like the answer...

Either way friends, there are two things of which I am certain: Our God is good and He has loved us with an "everlasting love" (Jeremiah 31:3). He can be trusted and He will give us rest... we only need come to Him.

Back to the word, contemplative. (You didn't forget that, did you??) As I processed my feelings about "those moments" when life is extraordinarily hard-that word came to mind. And I had to smile as I sensed the Lord teaching me... Lord, help me to be 'a person that is devoted to prayer'. So that-as life's questions get tougher and the road a little rougher-I am found clinging desperately to You!

Loving you and praying for us all, today!

Comments

Popular Posts