"When did we become so dismissive?" My take on the racial issues of today.

If you're like me-you are done

Done with the rants.
Done with the 24-hour news cycles.
Done with the graphic videos.
Done with BOTH sides of "the argument".

Just D-O-N-E.

I find myself in the middle of the "road", yet again. How can I deny the experiences of the blacks/African Americans? How can I tell them, "No. Sorry. What you've experienced wasn't racial profiling or racist. Why? Because that hasn't been my experience. And, we all know that unless I have personally experienced it, well, it doesn't happen.". Helpful? No. Accurate? Absolutely not. Divisive? You bet. And on the flip side: To say to a white/Caucasian person that because they are white their lives have been privileged and relatively easy is condescending and, in some cases, just plain wrong. And, let's face it, would you listen to someone who was trying to explain their pain to you if they started the conversation with, "You wouldn't understand this. Your life has been too easy. Everything you've gotten has been virtually handed to you"? Well, you might respond something like, "You're right. I don't understand. And now I don't want to."! And, another opportunity is missed.

The problem with these two conversations is that they're not helpful. I'm trying to get you to see my side, without even attempting to see yours. If we want things to change. If we want true reconciliation and peace in our neighborhoods and churches we're going to have to be humble. We need to be empathetic. (I've heard that word a lot the past couple of days and it's important!) We need to love and be patient. And we need to be smart. Let's not believe everything we read. Let's not jump to the conclusion that suits our bias or natural bent the best. Let's, "Consider others above ourselves.". Let's risk looking like a fool and actually give someone the benefit of the doubt. Let's reserve our judgements until we've heard the whole story. (Not just the one that fills more air-time or 'sells more papers'.)  

Let's recognize that we don't know what life has been like for someone simply based on the color of their skin or your own personal experiences. 

Let's stop being so dismissive. If someone says they've been profiled or treated unfairly because of racial bias: believe them! Why wouldn't you? And don't assume that because someone has light skin that they didn't grow-up being pimped out by a crack-head mom or dad. White privilege? Not in my book! But you'll probably say to me, "This is the exception. Not the rule. Most whites are benefited by a biased society. And I've got the statistics to back it up!". And I wouldn't argue because you are right. And I am desperately sorry that life has been hard for many because of those biases. If there are things I can do to help right this wrong, I want to do them. I want to know how to help! But I can't change the past. If I could, Lord knows, I would. But I can't. I've heard the heart of the black/African American community. Again, I apologize for my part in this injustice and I want to make it better. Now let's try to move forward, together.

But we must stop dismissing each other. 

Blacks/African Americans dismissing whites/Caucasians and the other way around.You're probably wondering why I haven't mentioned much of Christ and what he would/has called us to do. Well, to be honest I'm a little sick of Jesus being called as the 'star witness' for the defense or prosecution. Let's recognize that He speaks for both sides and for neither side. He has no bias or bent. He isn't trying to prove or disprove a point. He is the point. Without Him, nothing makes sense. For example: I'm supposed to consider the person who just told me that I haven't worked for anything I have better than myself? Or love the person who has denied my struggle because they haven't experienced it or, worse, say it was my own laziness? Yes-to both. By Christ's example and through the  power of the Holy Spirit, we are called, over and over, in the scriptures to do whatever we can to live at peace among one another.
Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble. Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult. On the contrary, repay evil with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing. 1 Peter 3:8-9
And,
As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope when you were called; one Lord, one faith, one baptism... Ephesians 4:1-5
 And I love how the message puts this: "And mark that you do this with humility and discipline—not in fits and starts, but steadily, pouring yourselves out for each other in acts of love, alert at noticing differences and quick at mending fences." Ephesians 4:1-5 (Message, in part)
 
But, I know what you're going to say. You're going to say that it must be pretty easy for me to say all of these things when I've experienced neither racial bias nor anger and accusations over my "white privilege". And you'd be right. I am neither black nor am I white. I am, like what is becoming the majority of Americans today, mixed. But, I have had the advantage of experiencing two very different worlds. The world of the privileged and the world of the not so privileged. I cannot speak to personal discrimination but I can speak to the pain and struggle I saw in both worlds. And friends, I can tell you one was not worse than the other. One had the pain of alcoholism and isolation. The other financial hardship and family brokenness.

These two very different worlds shared the same pain. And suffered the same brokenness. 

I will not over simplify this problem. I just want to add one more voice to the-let's listen to and love each other-column. Let's be determined to not dismiss each other, even when what is being said is surprising or in disagreement with our experiences. Because it might just be what we needed to hear. Conversely, let's temper everything we say with love and humility. If our goal is to get people to listen let's make it easier for them. Be kind. I know we're not all angry. But let's not assume that others know we value them. Let's actively tell them. Because far too often people, real people, are lost in all the opinions and blog posts. Movements and causes.

I'm just another voice saying: Let's listen, more than we speak. Accept, more than we dismiss.  And, love, more than we despise. If not for your neighbor's sake, for the Lord's. (1 Peter 2:13)

Loving and praying for you all today!


Comments

Popular Posts