"You set the tone..."


Oh man. That scene still brings tears to my eyes! OK. So, if weren't a fan of ER, you probably don't 'get' the significance here. But, that's OK-because you probably have your own moment of 'passing the torch' or sharing one last bit of wisdom before saying a good-bye. And, that's what is happening here. The mentor (Dr. Green) is dispensing his last words of wisdom to his mentee (Dr. Carter) before going off to die. (Oh, the TV drama and yet-tears!?) "You set the tone, Carter."... These words have stuck with me over the years as I have felt the Lord say to me: You set the tone, Sandy.

I can still remember being (almost) hugely pregnant with our first child. Being a first time mom I was TERRIFIED of messing up and had no clue what the future would hold! But, in that moment I felt peace as I sensed the Lord say to me: "Daughter, you get to set the tone. Choose to walk with me. Choose to follow me. And, I will direct your path.". A little over a year later came more uncertainty as Andrew faced the potential lose of his job. We didn't know how to move and no option seemed "safe". But again, I felt the Lord say: "Sandy, you set the tone. Trust me. Stay close to me. I will tell you how to move.".

With the move came new opportunities. New challenges. And, you guessed it, more uncertainty! But through it all: "You set the tone" became my mantra. Anytime I was scared or nervous or just unsure of something, I could feel the Lord say to me, "You choose.". Some days I chose poorly... others not. And, I wish I could say that the "tone" I set was always godly or at the very least-good. But it was not. Some days were selfish. Others impatient. Some days, I looked to anything and everything but my Lord! But one thing was constant-I always 'set the tone'.

And, that brings me to the point of my writing today. Close to 4 years ago I began a journey, of sorts. And, last week the Lord brought that journey to its end. I remember sitting 'alone' in that room full of women, like it was yesterday! Feeling unsure of what this new "thing" was going to be like. Nervous doesn't even begin to describe how I felt! And yet, I vividly remember the Lord saying to me, "This is it. You set the tone here. You choose what this will be to you. And, you choose how you will allow this to change you.". And friends, change me it has!! Choosing to open my life and my heart, to that group of women was a defining moment, for me. One that has shaped the last 4 and probably the next 50-years of my life!! :) I am grateful for each life that has touched me these last 4 years. Honestly, 4 years isn't much, time wise. But a lot can happen in that time... And-I am forever changed and forever grateful. :)

That's how it is with most things, isn't it? We almost never get to control the circumstances of a situation... but we always get to control how to respond to it. Had I not taken the risk of being rejected-I would not have experienced the joy of belonging and of true friendship

So, my prayer today is this: Lord, wake me every morning to the realization that-through YOU-I have the power to "set the tone". I cannot control how often my children will fight or whine. Or-how considerate others will be of me or my feelings... my children's health or their willingness to obey (!!). But, I can control how I respond to them... all of them! 

I want to leave you with a scripture that was in my devotion this morning. It was rather timely-ha!
"Above all, you must live as citizens of heaven, conducting yourselves in a manner worthy of the Good News about Christ. Then, whether I come and see you again or only hear about you, I will know that you are standing together with one spirit and one purpose, fighting together for the faith, which is the Good News." Philipians 1:27 (NLT)

 Loving and praying for you all today!

Comments

Popular Posts