It's the Season of Tired, ya'll!?

OK. So, I'm just gonna go ahead and declare this, The Season of Tired!?

tired
adjective
  • in need of sleep or rest; weary.
  • (of a thing) no longer fresh or in good condition. 
Yep. Tired...

We understand tired, don't we!? Seriously, we are often "in need of sleep" or (my personal favorite) "no longer fresh or in good condition", ha!! There are any number of reasons for our "tired" in this season: our kids, our work, our service or calling, our kids... And how frustrating that every one of these "reasons" is good and even at times necessary!? :^/ 

Well, in recent years I've tried just about everything I can think of to "cure" this tired... I've gotten more sleep (even taking naps!!), eaten better, consumed massive amounts of caffeine, run countless miles, even gotten 'away' alone! But the result is always the same: although energized for a time the exhaustion inevitably returned. No matter what I did or how much I "rested", the tired remained. So, I began to wonder: maybe this tired isn't just physical and/or emotional. And maybe this "season" isn't really a season, at all. Could it be that my exhaustion is really a symptom of something much more serious? 

OK. So, up until about a year ago my life had been 'full' but manageable. Stressful without being overwhelming. But this year... well, this year has been a little more... demanding. Slightly stretching. And (dare I say it??)... hard-er?! Homeschooling is immensely rewarding... and quite involved! And raising an energetic, strong spirited, life-loving, 3-now 4-year old, has been trying. Pregnancy-for me-is never easy... and newborns have been known to (literally??) suck the life right out of you... often leaving you a shell of your former self!? So yea-it's really no wonder I'm tired! ;^) And, honestly if it were just this "tired" I was experiencing, I would think nothing of it. But it was something more. Something I couldn't quite put my finger on. I know, maybe it was the baby blues. Possibly that homeschool burn-out, I've heard so much about. Or maybe it's that the thrill of raising such a 'strong-minded' 3 yr-old has finally worn off...??!! Maybe. But probably not. Because you see with all of the nourishing I was doing for my body and mind I was forgetting one very important part of me: My soul. And, there is only One who can nourish my soul. 

I mean, I can rest my body and feed it with food, right? I can even avoid my stress and lighten my load, so to speak. But the one thing I cannot do for myself is give my soul rest. By design, I was made to find my soul's rest in my God-regardless of my physical or emotional state! Do you find comfort in this reality, as I do? There will be times when I will be tired, exhausted, worn-out and just plain pooped. I will come to the "end of my rope" and feel as though I am losing my mind. BUT (and here is where it gets good) I will always & only find my soul's rest in my God. Regardless of the demands surrounding my, often, chaotic life-I am daily called to this place of rest. And rest, friends-true rest-is what we will find! 

I want to leave you with the scripture my Lord spoke to me this morning. And my prayer for us today is simple: Lord, help me to come to You for rest. For I was made for You-by You. And it is only in You that I find the true rest I need. 

Psalm 62:1-2
Truly my soul finds rest in God;
    my salvation comes from him.

Truly he is my rock and my salvation;
    he is my fortress, I will never be shaken. 


          5-8
Yes, my soul, find rest in God;
    my hope comes from him. 

 Truly he is my rock and my salvation;
    he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.

My salvation and my honor depend on God;
    he is my mighty rock, my refuge.

Trust in him at all times, you people;
    pour out your hearts to him,
    for God is our refuge.


Loving and praying for us all today!

Comments

Popular Posts