New lessons from "familiar" places!

Have you ever issued a challenge? I often issue myself a challenge when I run. And I'm such a mental runner that I actually tell myself "I bet you can't do X today" and it motivates me! Funny that I enjoy proving myself wrong. :) Yes, I'm crazy!

Well, lately, I've taken to "challenging" the Lord. I know, before you call me a heretic or blasphemer just wait... My challenge to my Lord is usually this: I know Your Word is living and breathing. Ever relevant to this world. Show me that this morning! I LOVE when the Lord shows me something new from a scripture I can quote chapter and verse. One that I feel I've "maxed out" or exhausted.

So, last week while reading a portion of Ephesians I happened to catch a glimpse of a scripture further down that I had once underlined and have since memorized. Half challenging and half excited/interested I kinda spoke to the Lord and said "I can't wait to see how You're going to make that one FRESH!" And ladies, today was that day!

OK, so most of you know that relationships are very important to me. I enjoy them immensely! But they are also often the source of much anxiety and pain. And when I have an especially "difficult" one that I just can't seem to figure out it borderline consumes me! It is often the first thing I bring to the Lord and the last thing I "leave Him" with. And this morning was no different. I prayed fervently that the Lord would help me to understand how to view my "role" in this relationship. And if my thinking was flawed to show me! Well, after finishing my time of prayer I turned to my scriptures. And there is was. That scripture I had been "waiting" for. Funny, this week and last have been so busy for me that I had completely forgotten it was there. Ephesians 6:10-18 (NIV):

10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
 18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.

The Message:

10-12And that about wraps it up. God is strong, and he wants you strong. So take everything the Master has set out for you, well-made weapons of the best materials. And put them to use so you will be able to stand up to everything the Devil throws your way. This is no afternoon athletic contest that we'll walk away from and forget about in a couple of hours. This is for keeps, a life-or-death fight to the finish against the Devil and all his angels.
 13-18Be prepared. You're up against far more than you can handle on your own. Take all the help you can get, every weapon God has issued, so that when it's all over but the shouting you'll still be on your feet. Truth, righteousness, peace, faith, and salvation are more than words. Learn how to apply them. You'll need them throughout your life. God's Word is an indispensable weapon. In the same way, prayer is essential in this ongoing warfare. Pray hard and long. Pray for your brothers and sisters. Keep your eyes open. Keep each other's spirits up so that no one falls behind or drops out.

As I read verse 12 it hit me. My fight is NEVER with those people or relationships in my life. It is and will always be "against the powers of this dark world". Viewed through this perspective my relationship struggles take-on a whole new meaning for me. It is no longer about the wrongs that have been done to me or my desire to be vindicated. It is not about how "horrible" the other person is or how innocent I am (which I am almost never). It becomes about putting that all aside and realizing that we are fighting the same enemy and it is NOT each other! We need to be encouraging each other in this fight and praying for each other. Not tearing each other down over petty squabbles and bruised egos. One thing I've found: it is often the people who bother us the most, that NEED us the most. 

So, my "new lesson" from that familiar place was this: When I am tempted to start tearing someone apart, whether wronged by them or not, I need to remember; they are NOT my enemy! When I choose to focus on who hurt me and dwell on my anger I am being deceived. There is a fight going-on that I cannot see. My enemy is cleverly disguised but becomes completely exposed when brought into the Light of our Lord.


My prayer for us today is this: Let's "save our energy" and focus our attention on the real enemy. " For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms." And by doing so, expose the devil's schemes for what they are: a distraction from the REAL fight. And more importantly see the people in our lives for who they really are: a child of God in need of the amazing grace and mercy that we ourselves have received. 

Loving you all! 

Comments

Popular Posts