All TOO familiar...

It has begun! Praise the Lord I, was able to "send" Andy and his little friend outside to play this morning. Every parent of toddler boys knows that feeling. When, on the first not-freezing morning of Spring you can say-Yes, you may go outside! Those sweet boys-so full of energy don't appreciate being kept inside any more than I.

So, on this morning-still basking in the glow from being able to let the boys be, well boys- I sat down for my time with the Lord. Most of my "quiet times" begin with gratitude... sometimes willing-sometimes not so much. But even if forced, I am always amazed at how my attitude changes as I begin to thank the Lord for my many, many blessings. (Even when I begin by thanking God for healthy children all while being frustrated for not being able to complete a sentence.)  :) And on this morning, gratitude expressed, I turned to what was really on my heart. I won't go into detail but it was weighing on me heavily! As I was praying, I asked the Lord to change my heart-my thinking. Help me to understand how to respond with a new attitude so that He would be glorified in me and through me.

Well, after "concluding" my prayer I turned to my scripture. This is always the hard part for me... I LOVE hearing from the Lord but so often it is difficult to take. And of course this morning was no different. I will preface this scripture with a statement about my "need"-I asked the Lord for a fresh perspective on an "old" problem. One I have often felt helpless to do anything about. And as I opened the Word there it was. I knew it was there-it had been part of my reading a few days before. Ephesians 4:29-32 (NIV)

29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. 30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31 Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. 32 Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you. 

The Message: 

29Watch the way you talk. Let nothing foul or dirty come out of your mouth. Say only what helps, each word a gift.
 30Don't grieve God. Don't break his heart. His Holy Spirit, moving and breathing in you, is the most intimate part of your life, making you fit for himself. Don't take such a gift for granted.
 31-32Make a clean break with all cutting, backbiting, profane talk. Be gentle with one another, sensitive. Forgive one another as quickly and thoroughly as God in Christ forgave you.

 At first I tried to quickly avert my eyes-as if to somehow avoid "hearing" this word from the Lord. (Its silly I know!) But I knew. The Lord intended these words for me and they were EXACTLY what I needed to hear! I am not helpless. In any situation I have control over how I act and respond. I know this... these weren't "new" words. But what the Lord wanted me to see anew was this: I am never justified in speaking harshly to someone or about someone. Harsh words will NEVER make my situation better and they will NEVER make me feel better. But more importantly when I chose to satisfy my own desires and not the Lord's I miss the chance to grow. I miss an opportunity to learn from God and the situation. And not only that but I actually grieve Christ's Spirit that is "moving and breathing in (me)... the most intimate part of (my) life, making (me) fit for himself." 

So, as usual I asked the Lord-how do I respond to this? What do I do with these words? It seems so simple yet virtually impossible! I am flawed; prideful and often impulsive. Control my tongue? Even if it feels like I'll explode if I don't VENT to someone? Doesn't God know I'm a woman??!! This is what we do :) But God DOES know me! He knows me better then I know myself. And it is because He knows me... not only knows me but LOVES me... that He instructs me to refrain. When I refuse to give-in to my desires I make room for the Holy Spirit to work. Period! Once again I am grateful that I am not instructed to do this on my own. Left to myself I will always fail! It is only through the power of that same Holy Spirit that I have the self-control required to succeed. 

My prayer for us today is this: that through lots of prayer and reliance on the Holy Spirit we would have the power to obey and therefore refrain from speaking harshly to and about those in our lives. And in doing so, make room for Christ to work in us and through us!

 

Comments

Popular Posts