Unbelievable...

From an email sent to my mom's group:

Unbelievable... I was speechless watching the footage of the earthquake and tsunami in Japan. And as I continued to watch the events that followed I began to "talk" to the Lord. I didn't so much question "why" as I simply asked "OK, now what?". That seems to be my reaction to just about everything these days... a quiet acceptance of simply tragic events with the question of-how do I respond to this?? Well, I didn't get my answer until yesterday in the service. We sang one of my favorite yet not-so-favorite, songs... I'm not sure what the title is but the words are simple: "Be my everything... Christ in me, the hope of glory". And as I fought back the tears now streaming down my face (hence the not-so-favorite, part) the Lord answered. "Keep me at the center and I'll show you; I'll lead you. I'll be your peace and your strength". Phew, what a relief! :) The Lord, being as gracious as he is, affirmed these words to be this morning in my Bible. 1 Peter 4:7-11: (NIV)

7 The end of all things is near. Therefore be alert and of sober mind so that you may pray. 8 Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. 9 Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. 10 Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms. 11 If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God. If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen.
The Message:

7-11Everything in the world is about to be wrapped up, so take nothing for granted. Stay wide-awake in prayer. Most of all, love each other as if your life depended on it. Love makes up for practically anything. Be quick to give a meal to the hungry, a bed to the homeless—cheerfully. Be generous with the different things God gave you, passing them around so all get in on it: if words, let it be God's words; if help, let it be God's hearty help. That way, God's bright presence will be evident in everything through Jesus, and he'll get all the credit as the One mighty in everything—encores to the end of time. Oh, yes!

I am shocked yet not-at-all surprised that the Lord first instructs me to pray. Keeping him at the center would be rather difficult if I did not talk to him or listen for him! The next instruction did surprise me though: "love each other". Huh, interesting... but as I meditated on this the Lord showed me that by loving each other "deeply" or "as if your life depended on it" my focus is no longer on fear but rather on ways that I can love my "brother". My focus shifts from: how will this affect me and more importantly my children (yes, I'm just that selfish/self involved) to how can I serve and show God's love. God takes me from the uncertainty of the here-and-now to the eternal by giving me HIS perspective. My fate is already "sealed" with Christ, praise God!! As for my children, they are the Lord's and he has "numbered all of their days", again praise God!! I have a calling and that calling is to show Christ's love. As a Christian I am free from worrying about myself and my children because my faith and hope are in the Lord, not man (or myself)!

So, my response is love. Showing Christ's love to the world... a world that is afraid, uncertain and hopeless. We may not be able to answer the question "where was God when this happened" to their satisfaction but we can surely show them God now! My prayer for us today is this: that we would find peace in the midst of uncertainty through faith in our God. And as a result freely and with complete abandon love those around us, in Christ's name.

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing your blog with me. Your written expression of Christ's love is both beautiful and challenging. I look forward to getting to know you through this avenue. Thank you for drawing me closer to God.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts